Trust

wpid-picsart_1425185277314_wm.jpg

Sometimes a door gets shut right in your face. It hurts. You cry out to God in desperation. He hears your cries for help. A multitude of people begin to lift you up in prayer. Meanwhile God is smiling because He has plans that will blow your mind. That door that closed will never open again, but God invites you to another one. This door is huge. Twice as big as the last. As He opens it for you, your jaw drops.

My husband got laid off a little over two weeks ago.  It was around ten in the morning on a Thursday, and I came out of the bathroom to see him sitting on our bed holding our daughter.  I immediately knew something was wrong.

“They laid me off.” He said.

I remember just staring at him wondering if this was real life or if I was still dreaming.  You guys, I was 35 weeks pregnant and we no longer had health insurance or any income.  It was scary.  I had to excuse myself and cried my eyes out in the bathroom that morning.  I kept asking God, “Why? Why now? Are you kidding me?”

We reached out to friends, family, and our church the next day.  I signed up for WIC and medical assistance, and Isaac reluctantly signed up for unemployment.  Then we looked at our finances and things were not adding up.

We had enough in our emergency savings for one month’s mortgage payment.  But we kept getting bills from different hospitals, physicians, and clinics for all the times we had been to the ER.  On top of that our student loans were just a couple hundred dollars shy of our mortgage payment.

I was afraid.  I was thinking of the worse case scenario where we lose the house, have to declare bankruptcy, and live on the streets.

Then, the contractions came on due to all the stress.  While I layed in bed breathing through the pain, I looked over at my dresser.  There were bible verses stuck to my mirror that I had been memorizing.

“I wait for the Lord , my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope.” -Psalm 130:5

That verse told me point blank what my job was in this situation.  God did not want me to worry while we were waiting to see what would happen next.  Instead, He wanted me to place my hope and trust in the promises he declared for me in His word.

“Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.”  -Psalm 143:10

This became our prayer.  We needed direction, and it was clear to us that God was the only one capable of leading us from a steep and rocky hill back onto level ground.  Surrendering your will to align with God’s is difficult.  It is not easy to let go of control, especially when the path you were on takes a sudden turn.

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” -Romans 8:28

What a wonderful promise there is in that verse!  We held onto this assurance and kept believing that the Lord would take our bad situation and turn it into something good.  We believed and could see God working miracles in our hearts and in our relationships.  More than anything this experience taught me what really matters most.  I learned to appreciate the simple things.  I became more grateful for the wonderful family the Lord had blessed me with.  I also realized how blessed we were to have so many encouraging friends and an amazing church family.  I could not count the number of people who were praying for us, and we could feel those prayers. Our hearts found peace; the kind of peace that surpasses all understanding.  Even though we did not know what our future looked like, we knew that God would always take care of us.

“Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”” -Matthew 19:26

This verse blew my mind.  As we looked at our finances and things looked bleak, I realized how much we had unknowingly put our trust in humans.

wpid-picsart_1425125601739_wm.jpg

We put our trust in man-made things.

We put our trust in a company for our provision.

Then they ripped the rug from under our feet, and it all seemed impossible.
But this verse tells me that with God ALL things are possible.  So placing my trust in Him for our provision gave me hope.

After a couple of days, Isaac got an interview.  And then another, and then another.  Recruiters were lining up to see His resume.  Then about a week ago, a company asked him what they could do to get him on board with their team.  They were practically bending over backwards to get him to take the job.

Wednesday of last week they officially offered him the job.  He starts today, and they are even giving him time off when this baby comes (which could be any day now).  This position is better than his previous one, and we are floored at how quickly God worked this out!

Does it always work this way?  No.  There are times when things do not happen and we get stuck waiting and waiting.  If you are in that stage of life, please know that God is there for you in the waiting.  The lack of results that you are waiting for is not an indication that the Lord has deserted you.  I’m not claiming to know why God lets these kinds of things happen to us, but I know that ultimately there is a reason.  Maybe it’s a time for growth.  Maybe it’s time for a wake-up call.  Whatever the reason, don’t give up hope.  Though your situation may never change, God is ready to bring you peace.

wpid-picsart_1425184732937_wm.jpg

The funny thing is that God had been preparing me for this. In the beginning of January, I asked God to give me a word for this year.
The word was:
TRUST.

I had no idea the lengths I would travel to trust in Him completely.  I do trust Him, now more than ever before.

wpid-file000850861534_wm.jpg

Tune in next week as we continue this series about Trusting God by sharing a guest post.

Advertisements

21 Comments Add yours

1. atimetoshare says:

This is a familiar story to me. God is faithful and he never changes even though our lives are constantly changing. It’s hard to overcome wanting to take care of things by ourselves, but we don’t have to when we rely on him. God bless you and your family.

2. Terri says:

This is a beautiful story of how God always comes thru for his people ! congrats on the new position

3. Confessions1rst says:

God is so faithful! He is good! I’m rejoicing with you! I’ve been there! To clarify, I have been homeless twice in my life, with kids and all! So I know exactly where you’ve been, my friend, and I’m so thankful you shared that encouragement!

1. Janell says:

Oh wow! There was a time before my daughter when we were very close to becoming homeless. I wasn’t able to work because of full-time student teaching and my husband’s job was restructering their IT department so we were afraid of being part of the massive layoffs. I remember praying for God’s provision then, and He answered in a way I wasn’t thrilled about. We moved in with my in-laws (who are so generous) for almost a year. God is always providing for us, but it’s not always the way we pictured it!
      Thank you so much for reading, and I’m glad you found this encouraging 😊

4. Jasmine says:

Ahh! This makes my heart swell! Praise the Lord for his faithfulness and for his amazing mercies that truly are new every morning. I can so empathize with you in your journey; my husband and I have been through very similar circumstances this year, and God has continued to prove his faithfulness in our lives as well. I love that He gave you ‘trust’ as your word of the year. My family used to do that when I was growing up, and it always proved to be so true to the journey(s) we would take that year. Thank you for sharing!

1. Janell says:

Thank you for reading! Praying that God would continue to show His faithfulness to you and your family.
      The song, “great is your faithfulness” has been ringing in my ears this week. We certainly serve an amazing God!

5. Dara says:

Thank you for opening up and sharing this with us! What a beautiful testament to God’s faithfulness. I pray that I would trust him this way…..

1. Janell says:

6. lperkowski says:

Thank you for sharing this good news with us! Trust is a small word, but it’s actually really really BIG. It’s a big deal to have trust in what we do not see, but somehow, God always seems to come through. Your trust in the Lord is so admiring, Janell! Keep spreading the good word, friend!

7. Tammy says:

We have been through the very same thing and like you said, we trusted in the wrong things and not in God!! Its been 5 years now and life couldn’t be better. I am so happy to hear your good news!!

8. marypage13 says:

Wonderful! We had a similar story this year- hubby lost his job, but it’s actually been a huge blessing and a year of healing for us! Best wishes with the new job! Here’s the post I wrote about our experience :

1. Janell says:

Praying for you and your husband!

9. Sheri Little says:

What an awesome testimony. I was stuck with the verse “may your good Spirit lead me on level ground”. So many of use put our physical and mental efforts into finding that level ground when it can only be provided by the lord.

1. Janell says:

Sheri, that’s so insightful! We must allow the Lord to lay the foundation before rebuilding!

10. Andrea says:

and sometimes trusting God can be harder than it looks

11. This spring will be two years ago that I learned something that literally turned my world upside down. I am still in the waiting period. It’s been the worst two years of my life, but I have learned so much. I’ve learned that waiting is not wasted. God has been with me every step of the way. I’m trusting that He will work all for good.

1. Janell says:

I’m so sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time. Praying that God would should you the way through.

I would love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s